A ‘‘Special Collection’’ in Nineteenth-Century New York: The American Bible Society and Its Library, Peter J. Wosh and Lorraine A. Coons
Bible House street-level scene, c. 1935, along 4th Avenue (uptown to the left)
By the El, by Lawrence Stelter
From the NY Times (April 2, 1956)
- 1853 BIBLE HOUSE TO BE DEMOLISHED; Wreckers Start Work Today on City's First Building With Iron Framework
replaced by a mixed-use office and retail building.
An Interesting Artifact, the Stuyvesant Street Roadbed
The construction of the Cooper Union engineering building in the late 1950's caused a change in the route of Astor Place/Stuyvesant Street, which were once connected across Third Avenue. As shown in the first map, c. 1911, the Bible House (in the center of the map), has minimal frontage on Third Avenue, and the line of Stuyvesant Street continues across Third Avenue to Astor Place: